Powered By Blogger

Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Why I dont like Arranged marriage

People, specially those who count among my friends often tell me that I am being impractical by not having any faith on arranged marriages.Perhaps every person has his or her own philosophy of life and abides by his/her principles (I do respect that)and I too have those.Those who know me, know this also how determined and clear I am in what I beleive in.So here comes another of my beliefs and that is, I dont at all beleive in arranged marriages.

Without trying to justify what is right and what is wrong I can only say what I think because I am not the right person, for that matter nobody is the right person to comment on this and this has no correlation with the marriage being successful. Yes , it is true that statistics says that arranged marriages are more successful, atleast in India.But isnt thats only the expected? Thats because we Indians are mostly very fond of "what society says, thinks,comments or even dreams " about us and so in cases where the marriage has been fixed by society , is also "so called" stable.Also , for me arranged marriages lack ownership which means somehow we want to take a joint decision, hence breaking off an arranged marriage is also a joint decision.So isnt that obvious that people who couldnt decide by themselves during marriage would have less probablity to decide by themselves to call it off? Hence the result!! To me getting married is completely personal choice and perhaps I can fall in love with the worst person but is that a folly? I say no. Because I respect my freedom to take this most important decision of my life, I enjoy the whole idea, rather being a "yes papa no papa" girl.And why not be happy if this makes sense to your life? Because we all have different definitions of happiness. To me it may be derogatory to realize that my life partner has been chosen by someone else and I have been "selected" first on the basis of my family's wealth, status, my education , my beauty and then if I pass, at all, the cut-of marks I am selected on the basis of what I am. And by that time two families start expecting so much that in a way people become biased and say a "yes".

I may sound ridiculous if I say that I would rather prefer not to marry than to go for an arranged marriage.Very strong statement, isnt it? But I remember one of my friends saying that its not like semesters that we "have to".If some people are more happy taking their lives decisions themselves then let them be. Somehow I fail to understand why getting married to any person is more standard and normal than staying alone on one's one terms. So sharing everything..from our emotions, resources, family and the bed with someone you dont even love is more valid than staying alone and living on one's one terms?Somehow I fail to understand that.Some may say that only the initiating process is arranged and then its all about whether you can fall in love or not and then you take the decsion.But isnt that too simulated? Infact simulated love marriage! which too I fail to understand..truly sometimes I think I am too dumb to get those nuisances of so called "normal , standard, practical" life. But really doesnt matter..may sound very obstinate and over confident but again its all happiness and being comfortable with oneself that matters and I cannot be a hypocrite..yes thats my favourite word as by now everybody who know me might have known.

So I can fall in love first, second, third, fourth...times and fail and then again fall in love but still I would prefer to take decisions of my life based on my very own choices be it marriage, career or anything else and then again if I go wrong I will mend myself but still take decsions myself and so on...

1 comment:

  1. many strong statements made..
    but as u pointed out .. it's personal choice and i guess tht answers all questions...
    Still .. in my opinion.. arranged marriage outweighs love marraige.. bcoz.. it keeps vrybody happy.. :)

    ReplyDelete